Friday, June 20, 2008

Justin's jetboat/snorkle trip/Interactive Aquarium

5.26.08
This was a day Justin and his dad were taking a jet boat excursion around the island and were going to go snorkeling. Marie and I were going to hit up the local mall which also had an “Interactive Aquarium” in it. I had read about how the mall was very close to the ocean and how neat the aquarium was and thought this would be a great day for Trey. My first adventure with Trey and Marie was finding a bus stop and dodging the traffic along the “Zona Hotel” strip which sometimes offered a sidewalk, sometimes not. We passed a huge truck/trailer carrying a boatload of Army Men. I got a bit nervous; not only for my safety, but also for maneuvering around their vehicle with taxis, busses, and rental cars zooming past us. We made it to a bus stop and then realized what a challenge it was going to be getting the stroller on the bus. Finally, the bus driver helped me lift the stroller onto the bus and then placed it in a little nook beside the bus door. Each time he would open the bus door, the stroller would look as if it was going to fall to the ground.


Trey standing on the bus

About three stops after ours a man got on the bus with a water bottle in one hand and a Karaoke type of contraption in the other. He was our entertainment for our bus ride and he serenaded us with a Spanish love song which Trey thoroughly enjoyed. He sported a smile from ear to ear, where I just bowed my head in embarrassment. I couldn’t stand to look up, considering we were sitting in the second and third row from the front, where the man was standing, singing his little heart out. When he was done, Trey applauded for him as if he had just one a Grammy, and I just giggled.


Can you believe this interactive aquarium is in a mall? Look at that view?!



Trey and Grandma Marie at the Aquarium

At the aquarium, Trey and I got to touch a stingray, a shark, and a turtle.

Feeding the stingray









Watching the sharks swim


Trey touching a shark

The highlight of the experience was watching the Dolphins interact with the swimmers.



Watching the dolphins from a distance

You could pay $165 to “swim” with the Dolphins, and after watching for a few minutes, we realized the swimmers didn’t exactly get to “swim” with the Dolphins. I felt so bad for Trey, he really, really wanted to swim with the Dolphins, but we didn’t get the chance. Marie pointed out that he probably would have been too scared, and I think she was right. Luckily, on our way back, there was a bus stop right across the street from the mall which we easily boarded without waiting and the stroller situation was solved by just setting in the isle. I was already standing in the isle, so Marie and I both held onto the stroller. We arrived back at the hotel just after Larry and Justin and we enjoyed listening to their adventures. The afternoon was spent reading (Larry and Marie) on the beach, or playing in the water and sand.











I had to take a picture of the seaweed. It looked so much like grass


Trey's plumber crack!


Trey's attempt at sampling the sand. Didn't taste so great!

Marie joined us for quite some time in the water, which was so warm; almost like bath water. The evening was spent wandering the market streets of Cancun.





We put Trey in a baby Kelty backpack, and I honestly think people in Cancun have never seen a contraption like ours before. They kind of gawked at us, but I think Trey enjoyed their stares. As we would walk by, people would whisper ,”Muy Bonito” as they stared at Trey. His blonde hair and bright blue eyes were really attracting attention. Marie and I found a fabric store (which we then realized was not an uncommon thing. That and shoe stores, they were on every corner!) and we ventured inside to see what they had . Marie was amazed at their prices. I was looking for interesting fabric for my burp cloths and found a few bolts I liked. When I asked if I could purchase some fabric, a smart, well educated young man with VERY strong English skills said, “The whole bolt?” I realized he was joking and I said, “No, a yard please.” He then asked if a meter was okay. Joann’s Fabric would have a heart attack if they saw how this boy cut my fabric. He made a little slit in the fabric, and then grabbed each side of the fabric and tore the rest of the fabric in half. So quick and easy, I was impressed! Justin then bought some sandals because he found that morning, his new sandals he had just purchased, the day before our trip at Cabella’s were two rights instead of one right, one left and we found a cute soccer jersey top and bottom set for $7.00! It said Mexico on the back and was green! So cute! We took Trey into a McDonald’s to get some Chicken Nuggets (I asked for small chickens, in Spanish, and they got the idea!) before we headed off to our dinner and he had a great time with three little boys in the play equipment. It was so interesting to watch them interact. The boys kept asking him his name in Spanish, you could tell they wanted to communicate, but they just ended up growling and making silly animal noises at each other and chased each other around. It reminded me of Trey and his friends at Miss Michelle’s. They are always pretending to be some kind of animal. Even though they didn’t speak the same language, they still found ways to communicate, and how interesting it was that they weren’t too different from each other.




The three little boys from McDonalds. This was the only picture they would let me take of them!

After visiting the market place and wandering the back roads of the town, I realized you could never go underwear-less, shoe-less or fabric-less in this town. They sell shoes, underwear and fabric like it is going out of style.

We at dinner at the nicest, classiest, café called Pasteria. The only other American’s in the café had a Stephanie Meyer book, the Eclipse sitting on their table. It was a book in a series we read for bookclub, one book I really didn’t enjoy, but I just had to get a picture nonetheless for my club.



I thought they would find it just as interesting as I did, being in Cancun and seeing that book everyone else seemed to really enjoy. Not only did I take a picture of that couple with a book, I also took a picture of our meals because they were beautiful. Larry and I both got crepes (Larry’s was fruit filled, mine was ham and swiss filled) and I loved every bite of mine. The café had orange accents everywhere. I knew my mom would have loved this place, she loves the color orange.


Trey


Justin and his meal


Grandpa Larry and his yummy, sweet dinner! My kind of dinner. In fact, I secretly wanted a sweet crepe but didn't know what my inlaws would have thought. I should have ordered it darn it!




My crepe that was DELICIOUS!

The night was spent on the beach, playing in the sand, watching the Pirate Ships float by and entertainment from the "spray paint artists." The artists were amazing!





We purchased this print but unfortunately it was ruined in our suitcase.



No comments: