Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Special Olympics-Speed Skating

2.10.09
Day two of the Special Olympics!

Today we headed out to Idaho Ice World to watch Speed Skating. The stands were packed with spectators; it was difficult finding a place for the three of us. I eventually asked someone from Japan if I could sit next to him, without speaking a word (we obviously didn't speak the same language) he got up and gave us his seats. One thing I have noticed about the Special Olympics spectators is that they are all so kind and friendly! We had wonderful seats!

We saw the same sweet ladies from Virginia Beach, Virginia at Speed Skating! We all must be on the same "spectator circuit!"

One touching moment during our speed skating adventure was a sweet athlete who wasn't too skilled at ice skating, let alone SPEED skating. In fact, he was so uneasy on his skates, he fell two times within his first lap around the rink (he was racing in the 400 meter). I didn't know if he was going to finish. He was passed up twice, therefore; he raced alone for the last two laps. Each time he passed by our section of the rink, we cheered for him as loud as we could! Finally, when he huffed and puffed across the finish line, he rose his hands in the air as if he had won the gold medal. The other two racers approached him with open arms as they all embraced in the middle of the rink. He was so proud of himself, and so was the rest of the crowd. He finished, and that was all he cared about. The tears definitely began to roll down my face! If we could all finish a difficult task with such enthusiasm!!! I called my mom AND Sommers after witnessing this amazing racer, still bawling like a baby!












A sweet athlete who just finished her race. And this was her cheering section, and probably her biggest fans..... (her teams color of uniform was my favorite color of them all!)






Cheering! Trey asked me if he could stop clapping. I asked him "why?" He said, "Because my hands are hurting!" He was enjoying himself so much and clapping so hard, he was hurting!


Trey Mesmerized!

No comments: