Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A day of flying

5.24.08
We woke up very early at my dad’s condo, got our luggage together, loaded up our car and followed my dad to the airport. We met Justin’s parents at the entrance of the airport, said our farewells to my dad, and Justin took off following my dad to our parking garage where we were going to park our car for the week. If it wasn’t for my dad, we would have NEVER found the airport, OR a place to park. Larry so kindly helped me check in and Marie stood with our pile of luggage, clutching Trey’s blanket in her hand. I handed the American Airline’s employee our three passports, he checked us in and printed out or boarding passes. Little did I know, he had checked LARRY in as JUSTIN. How scary. They must have NOT checked Justin’s picture at all because Larry and Justin don’t look too much alike. As we were loading our luggage onto the conveyor belts, Trey nervously asked for his blanket. To be honest, there has been weeks where Trey hasn’t slept or asked for his blanket, but I realized he probably was feeling out of his comfort zone and felt like his blanket might be comforting in this time of chaos. Justin caught up to us with plenty of time to spare and we were off to Mexico. We sat across from Marie and Larry in the airplane and once we were up in the air and traveling without turbulence, Trey ventured over to his grandparents, sat between them for a while, and then wandered back to us. He did so well on the plane.


Our first stop was in Texas, where my grandparents were visiting my aunt, uncle and cousin. I called them when we touched down but no one answered. The Fort Worth/Dallas airport was HUGE and it took us about a half hour to get to our next gate! Thankfully, we had a very nice gentleman sitting across from our row on the plane who knew the airport very well. What a sweet man, he led us to the “monorail” we were to board for our next gate. Yes, the monorail was a necessity, considering it took us over the freeway and onto our next gate. We made the next flight with little time to spare. This next flight would take us directly to Mexico! Justin and Trey watched the Waterhorse and I read a book, the flight was much smoother then the first. When we arrived in Mexico, the climate was the first noticeable difference to me. Even in the terminals, I could feel the humidity. We waited in line at customs for about 15 minutes, which was plenty of time for Trey to stretch his legs! After customs, it was time to gather our luggage and find our rental car! I knew I was going to like this country when we got into our rental car and they had American music blaring. The first song we listened to, “I want you back” by *NSYNC! Love it! The hotel/condo we stayed in was called the Casa Maya and was beautiful. We were on the 7th floor and our balcony overlooked three pools, two hot tubs, but better yet, the ocean. As we were unpacking our luggage, I noticed Trey wasn’t in our room. I found him on his tiptoes peering over the ledge of the balcony of Larry and Marie’s room. I just about fainted as I grabbed him from the edge of the balcony, brought him inside and slid three arm chairs in front of the sliding glass doors out to the balcony. One of my worst fears, children and heights. He didn’t understand, he was just wanting to see the ocean. AHHHHHH, all of the “what if’s” started popping into my head and I was just about in tears. I finally got over it when I noticed our tv’s had cable and they even offered the E! Channel. I definitely was going to love this country and our stay!

We made it! Trey's first evening on the beach in Cancun, Mexico!!!

1 comment:

Marie said...

What a fun trip we had. It's so fun to read your side of things.