Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Tradition: Reindeer Food

12.23.08
A friend of my mom's had wrote in her Christmas Newsletter MANY years ago about a reindeer food tradition their family had, which always stuck in my head. I had reminded my mom of this tradition so she called her friend and asked her for the specifics. Because my parents raise cattle, they had some crushed corn which we thought would be perfect to feed Rudolph. We added some magical sparkles into the corn so the reindeer could see their food from the sky (red and green colored sugar sprinkles!) and would know where to land!

My mom sat Trey onto her kitchen counter, told him a story about Santa's reindeer and how they love to eat corn. She made up a little recipe (Trey knows we need recipes to make dinners, cookies, etc.) and read it to him. His job was to add the sprinkles and shake the food up.







After shaking up the ingredients, my mom and Trey went outside and found the perfect place to sprinkle the reindeer food(the place was chosen by Trey of course.). Trey began to sprinkle the food, and then turned to my mom and asked, "Grandma, can I just dump it?!" He dumped it with excitement!









Thanks mom for your research AND resources! Trey still talks about the reindeer food!

1 comment:

sauter signs off said...

Your pictures turned out so much better than mine Rebecca. I should put a link on mine to yours, but I forgot how to do that.
Thanks for all the fun memories Trey!