Friday, November 20, 2009

Assignment #1 Rule of Thirds, Lines and Natural Framing

After watching Justin train for his Rush and Half Triathlons this summer, I began thinking about what my passions and hobbies were.

We had just purchased my new camera and I began thinking of ways I could perfect my photography skills. Photography has always been a passion of mine, heck, I do it as a profession! So, after many months of contemplating and waiting for a down-time in our families hectic schedule, I decided to enroll in an online college course for photography. I have been enjoying my class immensely and can't wait to enroll in a portrait class with my coworker, and friend Emily this coming January!

Here are some pictures I have taken for my first assignment. We were asked to look for the "Rule of Thirds" concept, natural framing, eliminate mergers (which is an inanimate object behind the subject.) and lines in our world around us. Keep in mind, we were asked not to edit the pictures we take.

Here they are, some pictures I took at my lunch break behind my work. Luckily, I work in a very beautiful area of town with a lot of nature to capture!

Rule of Thirds


The texture of the pebbles with the blades of grass stiffness are a nice contrast.
Lines
(I love the color of this fire hydrant. There are not only lines around the fire hydrant, but I tried to capture the lines in the grass behind the hydrant.)

Lines

Lines (this leaf just fell in the most perfect placement.)
Natural Framing. I don't think this would be considered "perfect" framing, but, in the first lesson, we were also taught that you can bend the rules within reason.

5 comments:

sauter signs off said...

Oh my goodness, these are soooo good! I love the leaf on the bench, the fire hydrant too. You are so good!!!

sauter signs off said...

If it wasn't for you 17 years ago, we probably wouldn't have had any pictures of Derek. You've had your finger on the camera for all these years, and you've gotten better (which is hard to imagine).. keep it up!

Angie Miller said...

What a gift!!!

Hills said...

Good luck with this class and your goals! I enjoyed looking at these pictures and learning something new!!! I love the one of the bench with the leaf just so.

the davis family blog said...

I have to agree I love the leaf on the bench!!