Thursday, December 3, 2009

Assignment #2

My first experience "posting" pictures for my photography class was a bit nerve wracking and scary, but I am so glad I did. I took the class to receive feedback and knowledge, and that is exactly WHAT I got!

We have been asked not to edit our pictures at all! So, this is my assignment, in the "raw" so to speak. (not taken in RAW yet, but I will get there with some experience!)


Mr. T

Miss M
When posting pictures, we have to evaluate our work and describe what technique we used, what rules we tried to accomplish, and what we thought we could do differently.


"Miss M" picture

This picture was taken with an ISO 200. The subject was swinging on a rope swing, so, it is a little on the out of focus side. I also have to admit that I have been having a difficult time not centering my subject in the middle of the picture. I love the lines of her beautiful blond hair, somewhat repetitious in nature, as well as curved. Her left eye is close to the point of intersection in the ROT rule. The afternoon was relatively bright which made positioning the subject difficult when trying to eliminate shadows.

"Mr. T" picture This picture was taken with ISO 200 on a shady evening around 4:30pm. I believe this picture displays the ROT rule with the subjects eyes the main focus. I wanted a bit of a contrast, with the picture shot with a vertical angle and the horizontal lines of the bricks. This picture was taken on a busy street downtown and had many distractions, such as cars, lamp posts, and fire hydrants. Therefore, to simplify the picture, I took it vertically.


Response from TA Kimberly:

When incorporating the ROT on a close up portrait, it is perfectly okay to center the subject and place the eyes across the top, horizontal line of the ROT grid. Placing the subject off center can work as well, but you want to try and not cut an eye in half...either include all of it or none of it. She's got excellent eye contact with us, the viewer. Her blond hair frames her face very nicely. It looks like the bottom portion of the image is in focus with her face being a bit soft. If you can change the focus point on your camera, you might consider doing so to help get the eyes in sharp focus. A moving target is a bit of a challenge :0)Wow! Mr T's eyes are excellent! They are sharp and clear, with great focus and color. He's got wonderful eye contact with us. You did a great job of removing most of the distractions...the brick wall distracts us from the subject just a bit, you might consider having the subject stand several feet away from it to help keep all our attention on him. I'm glad you chose to shoot this vertically, that generally works well for close up portraits. I love those eyes!One thing you might keep in mind when your subjects selects their clothing...our eye generally goes to the brightest area of the image first, so any bright or white color draws our eye away from the subject's face. Keep up the good work!TA Kimberly
And a response from my classmate "Mary Ann"
Rebecca,I really like your pictures! I think you did an amazing job on Miss M in getting it all so much in focus! Would have been nice to see the other eye as Kimberly said, but for overall composing it is a good stop action from my point of view.And Mt. T is good ROT composition and has such an engaging expression!Good job!

1 comment:

Sommers said...

Rebecca,
you are doing quite the job!! Good feed back too from the TA's. I am glad you are enjoying it so much. Looking good!!