Monday, December 17, 2007

Pheasant Heaven


12.17.07
What you're looking at is 42 birds, 38 pheasants and 4 chukar. I called one of my friends on the way home to tell him about this amazing hunt and how many birds we got. His response was "isn't that over the legal limit". That my friends is the beauty of going to a hunting reserve. We not only shot all the birds they put for us, but we got about 8 extras that other groups did not find on previous days. The dogs were just rocking.
I got invited to go to a South Dakota hunt, but due to timing and funds I had to pass. Instead I called up this place in Oregon that is known for the great pheasant hunts, but my hopes were dashed when they said they were booked up until next January of 2009. They asked if I wanted to get on the waiting list, and I agreed just in case, even thought there was page of people already on the waiting list.
Thursday night in the middle of singing Happy Birthday to Tina, I get the phone call that they have an opening for Monday (I felt like singing Happy Birthday for Justin). I quickly called Travis to see if he wanted to go, and all three of us would agree going was the right choice.

An absolute must for this trips was to get some good pictures. Travis snapped this shot just perfect. I have always wanted a picture like this one.

If a bird dog dreams, and I believe they do, I am sure this is what they dream about. Cooper along with the other two dogs of Travis' just did the most amazing job.

We had a lot of points with all three dogs. You know the pheasant trying to hide here is not getting away. You got three dogs on point, and three shooters. The guy running the place even commented on how good the dogs were. It is unfortunate that so many people have never hunted behind a good dog.

Matt, is just about to rock this bird. On average we each got 14 birds, that is one amazing day of hunting.

A few of these birds got shot a little too close. Travis shot one that was so close the wad was in the bird. We also had some amazing 50 yard swinging shots that made up for the gimmies.

They load 2/3 of the birds in the first field that you hit that is right in the middle of the 200 acres. The thought is that you will jump some out some will run out and you will just miss a few, then you can hunt them up later. Well the first hour was non stop shooting. We ending up getting all but two birds, and one of those was a chukar that I pulled up on and the gun was unloaded from just shooting two others.

How people can hunt birds without a dog is beyond me. Cooper not only had great points, but he would find my birds and bring them back to me.

A hunt of a lifetime.

2 comments:

JD said...

Wow--them's a lotta dead burds! Good Shootin' Tex!

Sommers said...

That's amazing!!!