Wednesday, May 12, 2010

be thankful

It was Brooklynn's first Activity since turning 8, (the blond on the far right. She is Trey's friend Tyler's sister. She and Trey look like they could be somewhat related with their blond hair!) so we had cupcakes and displayed some of her birthday party decor for the Activity! Trey, as always, in his pj's. I bet the girls just think he lives in his pj's, but actually, he is fully dressed before we leave the house each morning. It is just when he goes down for a nap that he decides to wear his pj's. Then he changes into normal clothes for the rest of the afternoon, and then another change of pj's to go to bed. And I wonder why there is always laundry to be done?!

The postcards prior to the girls decorating their "thank you" boxes. Brooklynn's in the front from a photoshoot with their family last Oct/November.

2.23.10

This week's activity was held on Wednesday, due to Trey's "Drug Eruption" which I thought was chicken pox! The mom's were so kind and patient while I changed the days and times around!

The month of February's Activity Days Theme has been Be Thankful. At our second activity of the year, I took individual pictures of each of the girls. In photoshop, I typed on their pictures, "Thank You" and made post cards out of their pictures. Today's particular day's activity was to teach the girls how to write "thank you" cards. I have one special friend, Sommers, and one perfect mom, who have taught me the art of "thank you" card writing. Without these two influences, I too would probably be like most of these girls. I began the activity by asking how many girls had written "thank you" cards for their Christmas gifts. No one rose their hands. I thought to myself, "This activity will be perfect."




One late night or early morning, (I am not sure what time it actually was because I did not have my contacts in while I was feeding Tian.) I was watching a makeover show called "10 Things I hate about Myself." Terrible name huh?! This lady they were making over didn't know how to write thank you cards. So, an etiquette expert taught her the three rules about "thank you" cards. And, these are the ones I taught the girls:




#1. Write and send out a "thank you" card within three days of receiving a gift.


#2. In your "thank you" card, write three things about the gift. For example, why you liked it, what you plan on doing with it, and thank them for thinking of you.


#3. A "thank you" card should only take three minutes to write.




For the past few weeks I have collected cardboard boxes for the girls to place their "thank you" postcards into. They decorated them with paper, markers, and the three rules to "thank you" card writing on the front.




Who knows if they ever sent their post cards out. Hopefully, they learned a little bit about "Be'ing Thankful!"

1 comment:

sauter signs off said...

Love this Thank You activity Rebecca. Your A.D. Girls are so lucky to have you teach them. I was going to say, forget buying Trey clothes, just PJ's from now on! (Please DO NOT take him to WalMart in them though)