Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Drug Eruption

2.23.10
We woke up this morning, like any other morning, and start getting dressed. We are working on Trey's independence (unlike most children his age, he wants to do nothing by himself. NOTHING! Not even use the restroom himself. I know, too much info!) so I was helping him get dressed. As I was changing his shirt, I noticed he had a terrible rash on his tummy. Just as I was looking Trey over, I got a call from Trey's friend Megan's mom. Wendy said her daughter Ashlyn woke up with chicken pox. I just about finished her sentence as I was looking Trey over. I immediately called Trey's doctor and asked if we could get into him for an appointment. I immediately threw out all of the tooth brushes, explained to Trey he couldn't touch Tian or share anything with him. Poor Trey. I know I am a bit extreme, but I didn't want Tian to get the pox.

So, our doctor got us in that afternoon, I canceled Activity Days due to the pox, and we hid out in the entry way of the doctors office until our appointment. I didn't want to infect anyone in the doctors office.

We thought it was a bit strange for Trey to have chicken pox. He has had the booster and the follow up chicken pox shot and it is very rare, supposedly, for someone to get the chicken pox after being immunized.

Doctor Archibald gave Trey a very thorough over look and then went and got his Medical Dictionary. He pointed to some picture of Chicken Pox. He said Trey's rash didn't look like Chicken Pox. It was actually a "Drug Eruption" instead, due to the antibiotics he had been on. WHAT the heck is a Drug Eruption? Who knows, but supposedly the rash can last for weeks and weeks and it can also itch. Thankfully, the rash lasted only 4 days and didn't leave any scars. Trey was able to finish his antibiotics without any other ill effects.



2 comments:

Sommers said...

This was the day I saw you in Target... Glad he is okay. I want to know what strap you picked out. I was just going to buy you one and then saw the GC so I thought then you could get the one you want. Keep me posted!!

sauter signs off said...

Looks painful! Good thing you took a picture.. for future insights just in case Tian ever had a reaction!