Sunday, November 4, 2007

Patrick McManus in Boise, Idaho!

11.13.07
Justin has a few favorite authors, but I bet he would say his first two favorites would be J.K. Rowling and Patrick McManus.
Patrick McManus grew up in Idaho and had a crazy childhood. He hunted, camped and fished, and all of his short stories he writes are about his adventures. It is a tradition of Justin's families to sit around and listen to Justin read Patrick McManus' stories. Everyone gets tears in their eyes and start rolling around in laughter listening to Justin crack up. He usually can't get through a story without laughing so hard he is also brought to tears.
Patrick McManus also has a comedy show, a one man play more like it that comes to Nampa every once in a while, and a month or so ago James and Tina took us to see him. (well, the actor is actually NOT Patrick McManus, but one of his friends!) At the play, they made an announcement stating that Patrick McManus is coming out with a new book and will be holding a book signing party in Boise in November.
Well, it was the 13th of November that I was sitting at my desk at work catching up on patient's histories when I get an urgent phone call from Justin. "Patrick McManus is in town TODAY," is what I hear on the other end of the phone. Justin is watching the news while getting our car serviced and it trying to get all of the information he can. As he is talking to me, I forget my work and jump on line to the "McManus Official Website." Sure enough, he is in town at Hastings, the 13th of November from 7-8:30!
Justin gets to Hastings at 6:30 and is about the 5 in line! I was there purely for the excitement and for the camera crew!
We can't wait to listen to Justin read this new book. Patrick said that it is probably his funniest, even HE was chocked up with laughter while writing these stories!

***BTW, As I was unloading Trey's stroller from the back of our car, an older man with white hair walked by us. I watched him for just a moment as he walked aimlessly through the parking lot. He looked lost, he looked alone and maybe a little scared. I didn't know if I should follow him or just watch him, in case he was delirious or maybe an Alzheimer's patient or even dangerous(You NEVER know, maybe I am a little paranoid, but he DID just walk by my car and noticed I had a small child. You read such awful Internet stories, I need to protect my family 'ya know!). Well, it ended up BEING sweet, old Mr. McManus, I guess just buying time before his big book signing party!


The men waiting in line





No comments: