Thursday, April 3, 2008

Joung S. Bledsoe

3.17.08
St. Patrick's Day, and also a sad day for the Bledsoe Family. On 3.10.08, I got a phone call at work from Justin. He had asked if I had heard about the accident this morning that shut down Idaho 55. I said, "No," but that was probably no surprise to him. (I listen to my E! Entertainment on my way to work (usually the True Hollywood Story of some washed up actor!!! Those are the best!), not the local radio stations, but I guess I should have been tuned into our local DJ's that morning.) Justin's aunt Joung was traveling to work at about 6:30am on Idaho 55 when she turned into the path of a semi truck. The Semi Truck struck her car and she was pronounced dead at the scene. Word spread like wildfire throughout the family. Justin had called me at about 10am that same morning of the accident, and the word had already gone through the states of Arizona, Oregon, and Washington before us in Idaho. It was a shock to us all.
Although deaths bring sadness and pain, it can also bring families together, and that is what happened in the Bledsoe Family.
Justin's parents, sister Megan, cousins and aunts all came in for the funeral. I had only met Joung once as well as her sons, and this was a perfect opportunity to get to know them. I also met Joung's family, who flew in from Korea, what sweet, hospitable people they were. We got to enjoy some Korean food and "visit" with them. They didn't speak much English, but their children did, and so they helped us communicate. The Korean family members were mesmorized by Trey's blonde hair and blue, blue eyes. One of Joung's brother-in-laws asked if he could pick up Trey. I said, "Sure," not really knowing what Trey would do. The man picked up Trey, hugged him and smothered him with kisses. I thought it was so sweet, I don't think TREY did, but I reassured him the man was nice. Very sweet people.

Joung's funeral was held in a huge church, in the middle of the country. There was a large water fountain with river rock in the foyer, where we spent most of the 45 minutes of waiting for the funeral to begin. Trey kept throwing rocks behind our backs.

A preview of Trey's Easter Suit, nice to be able to wear it to more then one event. This picture was taken in front of the waterfall with Trey's "surfer hair." His hair will be cut before Easter, I promise!

There were so many Korean pastors and reverands, I had no idea what a large Korean population we have here in Idaho. By the end of the service, Trey was OUT!



After the funeral service, there was a nice reception with great food, sushi, cream puffs, veggie trays, etc. It was a nice time to mingle with family we haven't seen in years, and introduce Trey to many people he has never met. Doesn't he look thrilled? I think he is mourning, or still tired. Who knows.

1 comment:

Angie Miller said...

I so heard about the story but when I saw the Korean people on the news assumed they were no relation. I am so sorry about this and hope you guys are all doing OK.