Friday, January 15, 2010

thank you Grandpa Bend

12.22.09
The Friday before leaving for Bend, I received a phone call from the boys daycare. They have never called me, so I was a bit concerned. Tian's teachers said he was running a fever of 102 degrees. I was shocked and a bit nervous. They said he was acting fine, just tired and was ready for nap time. I called Justin, and thank heavens he was able to leave work early and pick both boys up. When he arrived, both boys were napping and Tian seemed fine. We thought their thermometer was inaccurate, and sure enough, by the time the boys arrived home, Tian's fever was gone. That afternoon he was very tired and lazy; NOTHING like this wild, active boy of ours.

The next morning, PRIOR to leaving for Bend, I took him into his doctor and the doctor said he had some post nasal drip (nothing new. This boy ALWAYS has a runny nose), red throat, and 4 teeth needing to pop through. The nurse practitioner said it ALSO could be "Roseola" which would present itself in a rash 2-3 days after his fever. We were JUST to treat the fever, nothing for the rash.

The night we arrived in Bend, Tian had quite the fever and Justin stayed home from church with Tian because he hadn't gotten much sleep the night before.

After a very relaxing day at the spa 3 days following the onset of Tian's fever, I was awoken the next morning at 2am to a screaming Tian. He was obviously very uncomfortable and distraught. I took him into the computer room at my parents home, hoping and praying I wouldn't wake anyone up. I was getting a bit nervous, not knowing WHAT could make this boy feel better when in walks my knight in shining armour. No, it wasn't Justin, it was my Dad, Grandpa Bend. He asked if I wanted to take a drive, and without even thinking for a nano-second, I said, "YES!" I grabbed Tian's blankets, a sippy cup of water, and out we went for a 2.5 hour drive around Central Oregon. Yes, 2.5 hours, and Tian cried off and on the WHOLE time. We drove with the windows rolled down, we drove with Tian screaming on the floor of the car (did I forget to mention we took my Dad's work car which did NOT have Tian's car seat? I didn't care at this point!) and eventually Tian fell asleep around 5am.

What an act of service this was from my Dad. He didn't need to wake up for us. He didn't need to drive us around. BUT, he did, and I am so grateful he did. He walked into the computer room at the perfect time, he calmed my fears and took my mind off of my screaming little guy.

As we drove, we talked about foreclosures, we talked about my prior calling as Gospel Doctrine Teacher (we were Gospel Doctrine teachers at the same time, different wards), my Dad's diligence in attending most of my volleyball games and my brothers wrestling matches and football games, his life as a child, and the woes of parenthood.

I will always remember our drive throughout the country. We didn't listen to the radio one bit, we just had a heart to heart which I will always remember.

Thank you Dad for putting me at ease, for calming Tian, and for our chat. I love you!





(the morning after our long drive, Tian woke up with a rash all along his back and his torso. Justin looked up the side effects of Roseola and the Internet stated a rash and irritability were the two most common symptoms of Roseola. NO KIDDING.)

Tian and my Dad have been inseparable ever since!

No comments: