Sunday, October 5, 2008

6 day old Pediatrician Appointment

9.22.08
Justin took this Monday off!!! I was so grateful to have him home for another day. This was the first day without family help, and I was excited to spend time with my 3 boys.

The day began with a Pediatrician appointment at 9:30 with Dr. Archibald. Tian weighed 7 pounds 12 ounces, which was 3 ounces less then his birth weight. He was eating at least 2 ounces every 2-3 hours, so this weight really surprised me. Dr. Archibald informed me that babies always lose weight after birth, but by 7 days of age, they should be back at their birth weight. He reassured me Tian would probably be back at his birth weight in a few hours.

I was anxious to see what he thought of Tian's orange skin. On this day, the whites of his eyes were very yellow and his skin was growing more orange.





Dr. Archibald agreed with me and thought he looked jaundice. He thought for a bit it was the blanket I had him wrapped in, but as he pressed on Tian's skin, the color bounced back yellow instead of white. He said that jaundice in infants starts at the top of the head and works it's way down the body. Tian's jaundice had travelled down to his abdomen. He suggested getting some blood taken.


Dr. Archibald posing with our pumpkin orange child

Before we left, I said outloud, "I need to get a picture of Tian for his baby book ANd for our blog" and I grabbed my camera. Thinking Dr. Archibald was going to leave the room as I got Tian ready for his picture, I was pleasantly surprised when I turned around and I saw Dr. Archibald holding Tian up for a photo op! I just think Dr. Archibald is the GREATEST! He has children; he must realize how important pictures are!

Dr. Archibald wrote us an order for blood work and it was off to MHP, my work, for Tian's blood work. We work around sick people ALL of the time, so I was really hesitant about taking Tian into my work, but I knew the lab people and knew I could get in and out without an issue. I also was excited to show my coworkers our cute little guy.


Sonya, Shelly, and Heidi

Tian screamed the whole time Amanda, the lab lady, squeezed his poor little heel. I felt terrible, but knew that this test was for his own good.

Dr. Archibald called later in the evening to tell us Tian's numbers from the lab work. For a bottle fed baby, the number should be under 12. Tian's number was 13, but because he was 6 days old, Dr. Archibald said that the numbers can be slightly elevated. He wasn't concerned, and he said he would double check Tian at his 2 week appointment.

No comments: