Sunday, May 16, 2010

tubes, adenoids and anesthesia

Over Valentine's Day Weekend, Trey spent a few nights on our floor while Grandma Marie and Grandpa Larry camped in his bed. (Grandma and Grandpa were in town for multiple reasons, one of which was to help us lay our new floors!) One evening, Trey woke up screaming. He was complaining of his ears. I ran and got the Tylenol and his medicated ear drops and prayed something would help. Something did work, he went back to sleep after about 15 minutes,but I was still concerned. The next morning, I called Dr. Beck at Southwest Ears Nose and Throat
and spoke with Dr. Beck's nurse. I explained Trey's symptoms, and then answered a few of her questions. She asked if he snored or was a terrible sleeper? Does he thrash at night? Yes, Yes and Yes were my answers. I also told her he talks VERY loud AND sometimes breaks out in a Southern Drawl. She prescribed a steroid nasal spray he was suppose to take for 2-3 weeks and scheduled Trey and Tian in for a visit.

3 weeks later, Trey, Tian AND Justin were all crammed in Dr. Beck's exam room. I asked for the first appointment possible (I waited for 3.5 hours the last appointment we had for Trey.) and we watched the sun rise from Dr. Beck's 4th floor office. She looked at Trey's ears, both of which had no tubes (Dr. Beck had removed one tube, the right tube, at Trey's 2 yr. appointment, and Dr. Archibald, had removed the left tube at one of Trey's last check ups) and said his ears looked red and definitely infected. She scheduled a hearing test.

Tian was looked at next. What a brave little guy! He laid on the exam table, no problem, and let Dr. Beck peek in both of his ears. Yes, he had an ear infection in both ears. He had only been diagnosed with 3 ear infections in his life, the first one being when he was 6 months old, but who knows how long he had had both of these infections.

I explained to Dr. Beck that these boys show NO signs or symptoms of ear infections. No fever, no pulling on the ears, no rash, NOTHING. The only thing they might not do is sleep or eat well.

Lastly, Justin asked if Dr. Beck would look into his ears. He has had an on going ear infection for weeks and didn't know if it was due to swimming or his anatomy. She looked at him and said, "I now know where these two little guys get their ear problems." She couldn't believe Justin's ears and how terrible they were. She saw scar tissue and abnormalities. Justin was told to schedule an appointment with one of her associates, which he did.

After looking at the boys, we were off to a hearing test for Trey. Trey was amazing and performed so well with head phones and ear plugs. We had a very sweet audiology girl who worked so nicely with Trey. She had Trey repeat words to her, throw blocks into a bucket when he heard birds chirping in his ears, and concluded that Trey had mild/moderate hearing loss. Trey didn't seem concerned, although when I heard Trey's diagnosis, I got tears in my eyes. Will my little guy ever hear perfectly again?

After the hearing test, Trey was scheduled for a scope procedure. They first numbed up his nose, which gave him a very uncomfortable feeling in his throat. Poor little guy started to freak out; he couldn't swallow which made him nervous. Dr. Beck relieved Trey and told her what he was feeling was normal. Then, Trey sat in an exam chair and Dr. Beck scoped his nose. Not only did she place a scope up his nose, but it went down into his throat. I was gagging like no one's business in the corner of the exam room as Trey was trying the best he could not to freak. He is such a trooper. The conclusion: Trey's adenoids were 90% larger then normal size. The adenoids were pressing against Trey's Eustachian tubes, causing his ears not to drain when he got ear infections. Dr. Beck was sure his hearing would improve with surgery. Not only would he get his adenoids removed, he would also get tubes placed again. And Tian would get tubes placed. With the family history Tian has, she thought Tian was probably stepping down the same path as Justin and Trey.

We were scheduled for Surgery, for both boys on March 16th. Tian, Tubes. Trey, Tubes and Adenoids. To brighten the morning, I took Trey and Tian to IHOP for pancakes. We were one of 3 customers, and I would have to say, I think my two cute boys brightened at least one of two of those customers days! They are quite charming if I do say myself!


March 16, 2010
The morning began at a very early time: 3am. If Tian had woken up 3 hours earlier, he could have had a cup of water, food, or milk. BUT, he had to be fasting, as did Trey, and Tian did NOT understand what fasting was. So, it was Nick Jr. at 3am, all of Tian's blankets, and a lot of crying. (On a side note, I have to say I am NOT impressed with the shows that air on Nick Jr. in the mid morning hours. Hands that talk, a family of 5 who live on an island with a strangely colored animal, and people who live in a tree house are NOT the shows I want to watch. Especially the family who live on the island. STRANGE and old school.) I just prayed the hours would go by quickly and Tian would be comforted.

Trey slept in, surprisingly, and we somehow got out the door without too much of a problem. Before we left Dr. Beck's office 2 weeks prior, Dr. Beck asked Trey if he would like to come to her office and have a sleepover. Trey said, "Yes." For the next two weeks, that is all Trey has looked forward to. Now that the day was here, he couldn't have been more excited. He loves Dr. Beck, he loves pajamas (which is what he got to wear to her office) and he thinks he loves sleepovers, although he has never attended one. I think some of his happiness rubbed off on Tian because Tian somehow calmed down and we drove to the hospital in silence. (Tian and I drove in my car and Trey rode with Justin.)

Trey packed his own backpack full of toys, DVD's, books, and cars. We got some DVD's at the Redbox the night before that Trey just couldn't wait to watch. (ScoobyDo)

Once we got into the our surgery "room," we had nurses and anesthesiologists asking us question after question about both boys. Understandable, although Tian began breaking down and wanting OUT! Everyone was a little concerned about Tian and his behavior, but I kept explaining that he had been up since 3am STARVING! By the time we were done with the interview process, I was fighting back tears myself. I was wiped OUT! Tian and I walked up and down the little corridors of the surgery center until it was Tian's turn to go into surgery.





One of the only shots we got of the two boys prior to their surgery. Thankfully we still had Tian's "BaBa" (his pacifier) because that saved our bacon this morning!


Surprisingly, when Dr. Beck came to get Tian, he went with her without a fight. I think she bribed him with a green beaded St. Patrick's Day necklace. As Tian was back in surgery, Trey sat on the floor and watched his DVD.

Look at those tired, sweet eyes. Trey too got a St. Patrick's Day necklace which he still cherishes! BTW, Dr. Beck always comments on Trey's spikey hair. She wishes her son had spiky hair, but it is long and shaggy she said.

About 15 minutes after taking Tian away, Tian was brought back into my arms as a sweet, quiet, sleeping little guy.

(don't look too closely. Remember, I had been up since 3am as well and purposely didn't plan on wearing make up. Doesn't Tian look so peaceful? After this picture was taken, Tian began doing that creepy open eyed sleeping thing.)


Dr. Beck was a bit concerned for Trey. She didn't want Trey to see Tian asleep or worse, wake up from anesthesia, so, somehow, I don't know how, the group of nurses and Dr. Beck crowded around our family and stole Trey away from us without him even glancing at sleeping Tian.



This is the only picture we got of Trey leaving for his surgery.



Shortly after Trey was whisked away, Tian woke up. And he was NO SLEEPING BEAUTY. He was NASTY, screaming and frustrated. He didn't want the juice we were given and there was no food in the surgery center for him to eat. (stupid me, I purposely didn't bring food knowing the boys would find it. DUMB on my part!) We walked the halls, bummed a sucker off of the doctors office reception desk, and nothing seemed to work. The nurses asked me if this was NORMAL for him more times then I can even count, and then they finally released us from the surgery center. I was a bit concerned, he kept pulling at his left ear.

So, with a crying, sad, upset and nasty Tian in my arms, I kissed Justin goodbye as Trey laid in the hospital bed still waking up. I was so sad to leave Trey. I wanted to see how he would wake up from anesthesia and be there to comfort him if he needed anything. What a strange feeling, leaving Trey and Justin and bringing only Tian home. I called my mom crying. I thought it wouldn't be a problem having both boys surgery on the same day, but it was much harder then I realized. I was exhausted and frustrated.




This is the only picture of Trey after his surgery. Trey LOVES his mask, especially the strawberry scented "magic gel" they put in it.


Tian settled down at home, I think he ate everything in sight, and relaxed; finally. I kept in contact with Justin and finally Trey was released and was heading home. It took a little longer for them to get home, and I found out later Justin had to pull over so Trey could throw up. Poor guy didn't have anything in him to throw up, so he just dry heaved.

Trey was so happy and almost giddy when he got home. He showed off his beaded necklace, showed me his hospital mask, his superhero band aid, and his hospital bracelet.

Justin informed me that Dr. Beck told Trey he was her favorite patient of the day. And, of course being the biased mother, wouldn't doubt it for a second. Especially, considering Tian was probably her worst patient of the day!

While Trey tried to fall asleep for nap, he told me of the story the anesthesiologist told him prior to him falling asleep. It had something to do with a superhero and Trey flying. Also, the nurse drew Trey a picture for when woke up from surgery.

All in all, what a wonderful experience we had. Yes, there were tears, but not due to anything the staff or Dr. Beck did.

No comments: