Saturday, September 6, 2008

Hospital Bath

9.16.08
By 11:30pm, Tian was still awake, and so was I. I thought it was a perfect opportunity to give him a bath. I called our nurse Cathie to ask if we could give Tian a bath, and she looked at me kind of strangly. She asked, "Has he not had a bath yet?" I said, "No. And I am a little embarrassed my friends saw our little guy all nasty!" Cathie then said, "I was wondering why his hair looked a little dirty. What? Your friends didn't like your babies trendy dread locks?" I just giggled and realized we would probably get along very nicely. She said that Trish, the nurse we had when we first arrived to recovery was supposed to take care of that. Instead, she fed Tian his first bottle, chatted with my mom, and sat for about a half hour in our room before her shift was over. HMMMMMMM! She did pay my mom a VERY nice compliment though, which definitely earned her stay in our room. She looked at me, and looked at my mom and said, "So, this is your sister?" I told her, "No, this is my mom!" My mom does look so young, she is so blessed. Trish was on our good list; too bad this was the first AND last time we saw her.

Anyhow, Cathie said we could give Tian a bath and that I should follow her to the nursery. I had my camera all ready for the big event. Cathie took me to a spot where I could sit and watch; and then told the other nurse in the nursery that Tian's Paparazzi was here to take pictures of the Bath Event. I swear, this Cathie and I could be good friends. How did she know I was an inspiring Paparazzi member?! When we got to the nursery,they took Tian's temperature and he was 97 degrees. He hadn't been checked for 4 hours (it now seems that we were kind of forgotten!) and his temperature was too low to give him a bath. He had to stay under the lights to warm up.



It was amazing how comfortable Tian was under these lights. I brought him into the nursery all swaddled up in two blankets, the nurses stripped him down to his diaper, and very quickly, he became comfy and relaxed. I love this picture, it looks like he is sunbathing!

I stayed in the nursery for quite some time, waiting for Tian's body to warm up and just enjoying the quietness of the nursery. I think it would be a great job being a nursery nurse. Yes, stressful at times, but your patients would never talk back, would NEVER have B.O., and would NEVER tell you how to do your job. I would love that.

At this point, the nurse talked me into leaving Tian in the nursery for the night. I was so aprehensive, and I thought about my decision for quite some time, but the nurse made the greatest point. She said within the first 12 hours of birth, the baby gags and spits up quite frequently. She said most parents get no sleep because they are so concerned about the baby. Trey gagged and spit up a whole lot when he was first born, and I didn't get ANY sleep the first two nights in the hospital with Trey. I then made my decision. I would leave Tian in the hands of the professionals. If he had any gagging problem, breathing problem, etc, he would be taken care of. Two nurses for the nursery is pretty good; and it looked like Cathie was in and out of the nursery constantly. I asked Cathie if she would take good care of Tian, and left our little guy to warm up and get a good night sleep. Hoping he would return to us all nice and clean.

Before Bath


This is how Tian was brought to us after his restful night in the nursery. All clean and mature looking. No more nappy hair and smelling so sweet!

No comments: