Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ward BBQ

8.22.08
Our ward's BBQ was held at the Lakeview park. Perfect location: covered eating area, room to BBQ, a play structure, grassy fields, and ducks to feed. The biggest attraction: the Parachute!









At this ward BBQ, my worst fear came and smacked me in the face. Trey was wanting to look at some ducks which were behind a huge grassy hill. A boy from our ward, and a visitor that came with a ward member were rolling down the grassy hill. Little did the visitor boy know, he was rolling straight for a rushing, deep stream, and landed, FACE FIRST into the stream. There was quite a bank, so once he was able to flip onto his back and try to get to safety, he realized he couldn't get onto the bank. The stream was carrying him farther and father away, I just stood there screaming for help. Trey was freaking out, I was at a loss. What do I do? Do I jump into this stream, 9 months pregnant, risk myself AND my childs safety (knowing Trey would leap in after me!)? If the boy looked like he wasn't going to be able to reach the bank, I would have eventually jumped in, but thankfully he was able to gain his footing and pull himself out of the stream. And what was he freaking out about the most: His FREAKIN' flip flops which were floating down the stream at this point. I was livid. There were no adults in sight (well, other than a hispanic woman pushing a buggy that just stared at me as I was screaming for help. I don't think she understood English!)and I was so helpless.
So, needless to say, I left the Ward BBQ frazzled. Things could have ended much worse and I am so grateful they did not.
Poor Trey, this incident really shook him up. There hasn't been a day that has gone by that he hasn't asked about the boy falling into the water. Hopefully this was a great teaching tool for him about water safety and staying close to me at huge functions.

No comments: